Monday, January 26, 2009

0045.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obhdTlImFBo&feature=channel_page

I love the song "You Found Me" by the Fray.

I can't quite nail down my reasoning behind it, but I am about to attempt to convey my feelings towards the song.

I love that the lyrics seem to be raw. I love that you can clearly hear the yearning in his heart.
I don't know what the intended meaning behind the song is, but this is what I gather.

I love that he depicts God as a guy he finds on the corner, smoking his last cigarette. Now, I know this is not typical nor Biblical, but I love it because I think it is, in a way, poetic and expressive. I don't think God could ever be portrayed on the same level as us average joes and be remotely accurate, but I don't think this song is about accuracy. I think it is simply expression of a pained heart.

I feel like I can really experience the indignance (is that the noun form?) in his voice as he sings: "Where were you when everything was falling apart??"

I think we can all relate to the lines, "Why'd you have to wait?" and "Just a little late...you found me." God's timing almost never lines up with our timing. I know that God is never late, but I think straight up accusing Him by saying He was "just a little late" is representative of what we would sometimes say to God if we felt like it was "okay."
The bridge is a climactic culmination of the genuine frustration he is heaving upon God in a rant, and i love how real he is being with God:

"I've been calling for years and years and years and years and you never left me no messages! Never sent me no letters. You got some kind of nerve taking all I want!"

I know this is not a praise song. And I know that playing this song on Christian radio is not exactly conventional. But this is, to me, a prime example of how we can hear the brokenness and hurt in humanity crying out for Jesus. Yearning for comfort.

I wrote a post a while back about a Linkin Park show I saw (note: I was there to see Coheed & Cambria.), and how I could sense the longing in the room both from the band and the crowd as they all sung out "Amen, amen..."

This song gives me the same feeling. I think it's beautiful in that we see a person being completely transparent and real with God. He is not playing any games. He is not observing any decorum we Christians sometimes think we have to uphold in front of others, God, or even ourselves.

[Plus, it helps that The Fray are all-stars at melodious pop-rock.
I have had the privilege of listening to an advance copy of their new album, and it is fantastic. (Februrary 3rd, guys.)]

No comments: