Tuesday, January 6, 2009

0043.

A story spawned from boredom.


I sit. I stare. That is all I seem to ever do, lately. I rock back and forth in my weathered wicker chair. Knitting seems less than appealing. Maybe I'll rekindle the fire. It's still burning bright. I feel like it's been hours since I lit it. I sigh and look around at the familiar living room. The grandfather clock in the corner mocks me. It is only 6:30. There is too much time left in the day. I've exhausted all my options. I've cooked. I've cleaned. Nothing left now but to be haunted by my thoughts yet again...

The furious pounding on the door frightened me, I remember. I flung my utensils in the air and had to brace myself with the kitchen table to avoid what could've been a serious back injury. "KATHERINE!!" My breath became short and my heart began to beat like a tribal drum. My brother only says my name like that in times of great distress. The pounding continued. I raced to the old wooden door and fumbled with the latch. The door flung open and knocked me to my feet.

"Katherine! Get out. We have to go. He's--He's on a rampage!"

My stomach churned. I knew who he meant, but in an attempt to comfort my mind, I managed to squeak out, "Who?"

Without so much as a blink to acknowledge my query, he seized my arm and dragged me into the relentless rain. The thunder cracked, immediately followed by a flash of lightning.

"There's no time!" he yelled.
"Where are we going??" I shouted back.

He simply kept repeating, "There's no time...there's no time!"

He flung me into the back of a wagon drawn by frightened horses, black as the night sky.
"Listen to me. He will be here soon. There is no way he would leave this town without you. Ride until you come to Roulesburg. Thomas will meet you there; he's gone ahead."

"But--where--I mean, aren't you coming?"

"Constable Livingston has asked me to stay and keep watch. Do not be afraid. I will see you soon."

Footsteps grinding against the gravel grew louder by the second. He was almost here.

"GO!" Samuel yelled.

"But--"

"GO." I had never seen his face so stern.

"KATHERINE." a voice growled from behind my brother. Samuel turned slowly to face him as he whispered, "Please. Just go."

My eyes locked on those of my pursuer. Just as I had remembered, but darker. Filled with fire and passionate anger.
My heart sunk as my stomach lurched simultaneously.
He was no longer the love of my youth. Innocent. Free. He was a monster.

In an instant my mind flashed to 3 summers ago. He was wild and outgoing. Kind, yet misunderstood. Since the day he arrived in our town, he was virtually shunned by all. My parents were no different. We were therefore made to see one another in secret, until Father Connelly saw us together. They accused him of horrid things. Kidnapping. Theft. Rape. He tried to reason with the judge. They did not listen. They arrested him, ridiculed him, and ran him out of town.
He tried to come back for me. They beat him, laughed, and told no one. I saw and no one listened to me. I wept every day for two years.

And now, here we are. Has his love and indignant rage become so powerful that it has taken over his sanity? What has he done?

But there he was. My love for whom I had waited to return. I wanted to run into his arms and look into his dark eyes. Somehow they still comforted me. No. He was not my Graham anymore. He was a terror.

My brother had dashed to the horses, commanding them to take off. "Take the reins, Katherine! Now!"

My eyes were still locked on Graham's as they grew farther and farther away and faded into the darkness. I forced myself to turn around and grab the reins. Tears poured from my eyes, blurring my vision. I lifted my sleeve to my eyes and blotted the moisture away...

I sit. I stare, as tears well up in my eyes as they have every night for 20 years. I won't let them tell me what happened to him. I prefer to imagine that he is well. As am I.

1 comment:

Nicole Jeannette said...

Laura! This was great! You should definitely take writing classes! You have a lot of talent!