Sunday, January 4, 2009

0042.

this blog is also late. i was pretty busy around actual new years day, so January 4th will have to do.


2008.
It's really hard for me to reflect all the way back to January of last year, so I'm using my journal to assist me.

I started actually attempting to work out on a semi-regular basis this year. really. It all started when Dave Ramsey spoke at our church (go figure, he goes to Fellowship too) in January and talked about this metaphorical pie chart of life. 6 different areas of your life you can serve God by being intentional in (i.e. family, intellectual, physical, spiritual, career, social...) so I was like, okay. I'm gonna do this. I am going to work out more often because I want to be healthy in order to serve God better. It's much easier when you do something for a higher purpose than just out of guilt or shame from eating 4 cookies.


I turned 20. I am a score old. I don't know how this happened. I don't think I want to grow up yet.

I came to an epiphany. All throughout junior high & high school, I focused my life on staying away from "bad" things. I didn't smoke. I didn't drink. And I avoided anyone who did so. Now, I don't really judge myself for that because it was what I thought was right at the time. But I now know that I wasted so much time NOT doing things. NOT drinking. NOT hanging out with nonchristians, that I never got to know those people. I never had time to love them. I have since tried to refocus my life on DOING things. Acting on what I believe to be true. It is not enough to merely live in a Christian bubble. I must help mend the broken hearts and love those who cannot love me back.

This epiphany can be attributed in part to a book called The Irresistable Revolution by Shane Claiborne. My friend Jenny gave it to me for my birthday and it shifted my perspective on life. It was frustrating but amazing at the same time.

I went to Peru. It was great, but I wish I had formed more relationships with the people there. Hopefully I can go back some time. And I got to use my Spanish, which I loved.

I've gotten closer to a few of my girl friends in Nashville, which I really needed. :)

And I've realized that no one could ever come close to replacing my best friends in the Valley. Talking to them until 4:30am proves that.

Coheed melted my face off at the Sommet Center.

I saw Hootie and the Blowfish in concert. Too bad Darius Rucker thinks he's country now.

I gained a newfound appreciation for Rihanna.

I went to a rally against wiping out Tent City in Nashville and became more aware of homelessness in our city.

I think my sociology class and shane claiborne made me become an activist.

Debate 08 owned my life for two and a half months.

I got an internship at INO Records. (see: Derek Webb, Sara Groves, and currently The Fray)

Derek Webb's lyrics spoke to my soul.

Sean McConnell reinforced the fact that he owns songwriting (at least in my heart).

I became a member of Fellowship Bible Church and feel more at home at Inversion via the Peru trip & getting to sing in the worship band sometimes.

I realized that there's no such thing as a "cute" overload when you're watching Jon & Kate plus 8. :)

I experienced JUST how humid Baton Rouge, Louisiana REALLY is in July.

I got to hang out with my brother a lot more, which was cool.

We FINALLY went camping!

My 8th grade crush, nay, "future husband" got married.

I missed camp.

One of my childhood bffs got married. weird.

I became the bomb at racquetball.

I actually watched the olympics.

I tried to get to know people better and/or meet people.

I started working with the youth at my church. They're fun.

I went to NYC with my family, family friends, and craig. :) It was so fun.

I survived a gas shortage.

I crawled through a mud pit obstacle course with ninth graders in 40 degree weather.

I have still successfully avoided Ugg boots.

2 comments:

Craig said...

I like your post.

I also like the new layout of your blog.

I also like you.

Nicole Jeannette said...

i like you as well!

Man! I forgot, like, half that stuff!

LOVE YOU!