Friday, September 28, 2007

005.

"Don't give up. It's just the weight of the world. When your heart's heavy, I will lift it for you.
Don't give up because you want to be heard. If silence keeps you, I will break it for you.
Everybody wants to be understood. Well, I can hear you."


The ground started to rumble. I felt it, but I knew not from where it came. I gazed into the distance. I pivoted my feet and surveyed my surroundings. I saw distant figures, but I was soon distracted as the rumbing started to fade and became more and more distant. I breathed a sigh of relief. "Thank you, Lord." I whispered. Not that I had asked to begin with.

I turned my attention back to the figures. They seemed closer now. And I recognized them as people. They seemed oddly familiar, as if I were in the company of friends. As I studied their movements and tried to distinguish their features, it became obvious that these people were in great distress. Some of them on their knees. Some of them clinging for dear life. Some of them shaking fists at the sky. Some simply collapsed in sobs.

I kept pivoting and looking around in every direction, seeing more and more hurting people. They were aching. My heart grew heavier by the minute. The beautiful solid ground on which I stood became more and more appaling to me. Those people are crying in the dry, cracked desert, yet here I stand on my lush patch of land, worrying about the ramifications of a small rumbling, over in an instant. These people seemed to be in a never-ending state of loneliness and confusion. They are victims of unfortunate circumstance. They are simply in need of answers. They are mourning over lost souls close to them. And yet, here I stand. I am disgusted with my world. My heart sunk even further. I need to assist. I need to love them. How can I possibly understand their circumstances? How can I possibly be of any comfort when their world is crumbling beneath them?

And their world WAS crumbling beneath them. The rumbling? It shook the ground on which they stood, kneeled, and collapsed. The cracks in the ground grew bigger. They debated on whether or not just to jump in.

I looked closer. More and more familiar figures started to appear. Their faces started to form from the blurred images. I...know her. I--I know HIM! I know all four of THEM! What is happening? Why is no one okay anymore? Was anyone okay to begin with? Or am I just naive enough to think they were?
Everyone is breaking...aching...

And I collapsed on my patch of lush, green grass, and tears started to flow.
Jesus, help them. I don't know how. With all of my heart, I wish i did.

No comments: