Tuesday, September 18, 2007

004.

"And we know that in all things, God works for the good of those who love Him."- Romans eight: twenty-eight.

Once upon a time there was a man who worked very hard. He toiled and toiled from dawn until dusk on his wooden sculptures. His hands were worn with a combination of age & honest work. Often he lay awake at night, wondering what good any of it was doing.
He made an honest living. He fed himself and his wife. They were never without a roof over their heads or clothes on their back.
He never meant to be a wood carver. He wanted to be a pediatrician. He loved kids, and, never being able to have any of his own, it seemed like the perfect solution. He thought about going to school, taking all the right classes. He would be making a difference in people's lives.
No, I can't do that, he told himself.
So he stuck to what he was good at. Wood carving. It's in my blood, he thought. His father created masterpieces out of blocks of maple.
For years he wondered if he'd made the right decision. What am I doing with my life? he often wondered.
He did enjoy wood carving. He'd just always wanted to be known for helping people out--making a difference.
What good did sculptures do anyone? They just sit there.
He stood outside in his backyard staring up at the sky. Pacing back and forth, he debated loudly, "Should I go to school? Should I blindly continue on with my comfortable job? What if it all goes downhill? How do i KNOW what i'm supposed to do?!" His shouting echoed as he cried out at the stars.

Something caused him to fall to his knees.
A small tear formed in his right eye, making its way down his cheek. He hadn't cried in years.
He looked back into his humble home, through the window, at his wife sitting by the fire. He half-smiled and thanked God for her.
Suddenly he realized there's a bigger picture than what he does for a living.
He took a deep breath. "I'm supposed to love." He whispered, closing his eyes. "All I have to do is love."

1 comment:

Wes Messamore said...

I kind of had a moment of thought this summer while I was jogging very early one morning in Knoxville, unable to sleep because I was having bad dreams, and this story reminds me of that moment and how I felt at that moment.