Wednesday, January 6, 2010

0071.

I gave my blog a makeover. I think it's not quite done yet, but I like the layout and theme a lot.


In keeping with my "Three Things" theme, which will continue indefinitely, I've decided to name three things I liked about 2009 and three things that will hopefully happen in 2010.


Three Things I Liked About 2009.


1. Pop music.
I feel like the caliber of pop music was much higher in 2009 than it has been in previous years, especially the early 00's. Or maybe my standards have just been lowered. But seriously, you can't tell me THIS isn't awesome.
I mean, let's face it. Everything Beyonce and/or Timbaland touches turns to gold. Lady Gaga decided to see how much nonsense she could throw at us before we would revolt [answer: limitless], all the while serenading us with catchy tunes at a flaming piano. Party in the USA set up camp in your head for weeks on end. And that-dude-who-sings-that-"Down"-song [I finally learned his name is in fact Jay Sean] was being played constantly on the radio. Yes, 2009 was a year for pop music greatness.


2. The return of Michael Jackson's greatness

I admit it, I too thought of Michael Jackson as a freak. It's not our fault, though. We missed out on all the good times. We came in at the beginning of the end--the 90's. Okay, he made some good music back when he was black, but essentially all we knew about him was that he used to be black and now looked like a cross between a monkey and a skeleton, he may or may not have harmed small children, and he dangled his child whom he lovingly named "Blanket" over a balcony.

But after his death (which was on my birthday, no less), all the freakdom fell away and we were left with just his talent. Yes, it was over publicized and he was NOT God, although Madonna may beg to differ, he was a talented musician and we were finally able to appreciate that without all the chaos seemed to follow him everywhere.

"This Is It" was a great outlet for that. We got to see him be a real person. Critiquing his band, cracking jokes, singing. It was interesting and really fun to see him be a normal person. And hear all the great songs he performed.

3. The sudden nation-wide interest in a cappella music and show choirs

A) Glee. B) The Sing-Off. Enough said. Under-appreciated genre that is now rising to the top. It will inevitably fade out as a fad, but for now, I'm enjoying it.


Three Things I Hope Happen in 2010

1. I get a job.
2. Nick Jonas sticks with his solo career.
3. I learn to play my mandolin well.

1 comment:

Nicole Jeannette said...

Yay for jobs. I've been praying for both of us haha :)

AND I LOVE that Down song. It makes my heart rise up and I feel joyful. :)

I like the new layout!