Wednesday, October 1, 2008

0034.

Reasons Why I Feel Like I Should Move to Mars:


1. The economy is imploding.
The Dow Jones went down 777 points, which is apparently super bad. (What is the Dow Jones and what the heck is this alleged point system?)

2. It is impossible to live above the poverty line (about 20,000 dollars a year) on minimum wage.

3. Apparently, hospitals can charge people without health insurance 500 dollars to come into an ER and receive a 40 dollar ace bandage.

4. I have no idea how to even go about trying to help fix numbers 2 and 3. Not the policies, just help those struggling with them. But I think I am going to try anyways. I just have to figure out a small way.

5. Most things about America now confuse me. The fact that we can even talk in amounts of 700 Billion dollars just blows my mind. The perpetual cycle of poverty blows my mind. The fact that I am typing on a portable computer that I didn't even buy myself and I will drive by a person who does not know if he will eat tonight blows my mind. The fact that we have tv shows in which people turn down massive amounts of money in the attempt to attain more massive amounts of money blows my mind. Crazy.

Now, I realize the solution is not running from problems that seem overwhelming. So I can't move to Mars. (That and the fact that planet can't sustain life.)

Anyways. This isn't some sort of political statement. Just a list of things that are currently overwhelming my heart & mind. I have to figure out how to get myself to start seeing others (ALL others. Across the world) as my family.

(Also I'm currently watching a commercial with Michael Phelps promoting Rosetta Stone language learning software...really??)

No comments: