Friday, March 21, 2008

0025.

Good [Heart-Breaking, Sweet, Powerful, World-Changing] Friday..

I'm not sure why they settled on the word "good" to put in front of "Friday." "Good" is so vague and overused now. It's nondescriptive to us. Something that continues to save our lives every day is more than just "good."
I'm sure there's some long historical description of how something-or-other got lost in translation...but "good" doesn't cover it.

It's so heavy to think about. I know that it wasn't this EXACT day all those years ago. But if you think about it as, wow... on this day, some 2000 years ago, my Savior, the King of the universe, was killed. By our sin and at the hands of men.

It's heartbreaking.

My church at home had a good friday service tonight. And while usually I don't get a lot out of my old church, this was actually pretty cool and emotive. They did the last 7 phrases/sentences Christ spoke, and between each one they sang a song. After each song/phrase, they extinguished one of 7 candles, until at the end it was completely dark and we sat in silence.

It was actually really good for me to experience. I haven't been focused on Easter at all until about Thursday night when I realized how close it was.

During the service, I thought about how even more devastating it would've been back then--with no knowledge of the glorious resurrection that is to come (or at least none that they remembered). For them, all hope was lost. Their King and Savior had been killed. Game Over.
So even when our hearts are heavy, as they should be, and we are sad that our King has been crucified, we know what is to come. We have experienced the magnificence of our King defeating death, that which no man has ever done or will ever do. We have joy and relief to mix in with our previous sorrow for how we have done this to Him through our sin.

I can't wait till tomorrow when Christ is RISEN!!!


Sin, Where are your shackles?
Death, Where is your sting?
Hell has been defeated!
The grave could not hold The KING!

1 comment:

ceklepper said...

wow, laura. very insightful:) i just happened to stumble upon your page and created an account just to respond!!