Monday, December 10, 2007

0014.

I don't know what to do when friends are feeling depressed.

It's a legitimate condition that I don't understand. I can honestly say I have never been there. And sometimes I feel guilty for my life having been this "good."
But I understand that it is largely significant. I do. It's a horrible amount of pain to have to go through.

I want to do something, but I feel so helpless. And it seems to be a recurring theme this semester. Or maybe I was just blind to it in high school.

So I'm just left to pray for them. And try to love them the best that I can without being suffocating.

The thing I don't understand is..

Why are so many people struggling with depression in America? Isn't America supposed to be great? I mean, look at all the STUFF we have!

Why can we look at pictures and videos from mission trips filled with beaming smiles on the faces of children in Nairobi, in literally the biggest slum in the world of 1 million people, but here in the land of abundance people are screaming to the sky, overwhelmed by the emotional turmoil they are experiencing?

Not to diminish the pain of these people. It's very real, and I can understand that.

But, still, these are things I think about.

1 comment:

Wes Messamore said...

I think that even though we are Christians, the existentialist and nihilist mindset that took root in the 19th century is the air that we breathe.

We know that there's hope, beauty, goodness, and rest in Christ, but can you blame Americans for having trouble breaking out of the mental framework that forms the foundation of post-modern thought?

And here I'm talking about our circle of peers at Belmont. So many other Americans don't even have Christ. So sad. In the meantime your remedy is the correct one, to love others.